Where it all started!!
The founders and members of Mullingar Golf Club led a somewhat nomadic golfing existence in the first 40 years. Originally called Westmeath Golf Club and founded in 1894, our first members played on what is described as “a small course” at Newbrook, on the site of Mullingar Race Course. In 1903, the club moved to a nine-hole layout in Killian’s field just north of Mullingar town. A major drawback was that golf was only permitted in the winter months as the farmer who owned the land needed the use of it in the summer. Thus, another move, this time to Lynn (also 9 holes) in 1909. Lynn became home for ten years but the course was regarded as too short (length was an issue then as well!), resulting in a new course being developed at Lough Owel and play began there in 1919. One serious drawback with this venue was the Great Western Railway which ran through the middle of the course.
Finally, 120 acres of lush, rolling parkland was secured at Belvedere in 1934 and the club moved to its present home in 1937. The legendary course designer, James Braid, designed the course at Belvedere. Braid wished to make the present 10th hole the first on the card, but felt it might be too difficult as an opening hole. How right he was!
Where we are now!!
We will be running various different golfing events to celebrate this milestone, so keep an eye on our social media channels for all information!!